Last year, my garden was totally neglected due to my hip problems so now I have to get the garden back under control! Obviously the structure is still there – a year isn’t enough for nature to totally take over, but oh boy have many of the plants had a field day :). There is a saying that a weed is just a plant in the wrong place – well, I have a lot of weeding to do.
One plant that is only now mature enough to need confining to its allotted space is on called Muehlenbeckia complexa. When I last opened the garden, a number of people asked the name of it and it certainly is very dainty and fills it’s allocated spot beautifully. But if only I had looked in Wikipedia and seen its common names, I might have been more wary as they include maidenhair vine, creeping wire vine and lacy wire vine.
As I worked my way around the garden, clearing one area at a time, I made great progress until I came to the area by the pond where the Muehlenbeckia complexa is planted. I realised that it had decided to make an airborne attack on the hydrangea next to it, but I was not anticipating what I found at ground level. Along the wall and at the path edge, I found what looked like a bundle of wires. The bundle must have been at least 4 inches in diameter and probably contained well over 100 “wires”. Luckily, they hadn’t made too many attempts to root and so could be removed, but it did take quite a while.
Once that was done, then I could get on with my planned job of fan pruning the hydrangea. I really like this way of pruning them, which I first saw at an office I was working at, as allows the hyrdangea to fit into a narrow space and also add a structural element.
So, that is it for this weekend. The clocks have gone forward and gardening begins again in earnest :).